Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Don't Trip Over Your Power Trip

My co-author and I are big fans of people standing up to people who are on a power trip. I enjoy stories of an underdog standing up to a bully, so I thought I would share this story with viewers of this blog. The names have been changed to protect the participants from extreme embarrassment.

My father worked in a dry cleaning shop shortly after graduating from high school. One day, he had to deliver some dry cleaning to a teacher at his old high school. The teacher he delivered the dry cleaning to was my father's friend. The teacher's name was Glenn. Subsequently, my father took the clothes to the high school where he saw another teacher. My father said to the other teacher "hi Mr. Dooo have you seen Glenn?" The teacher proceeded to yell at my father, "how dare you address him as Glenn, he is a teacher, how dare you." My father responded with "no last year when I was in high school his name was Mr. Smith, this year now that I'm graduated its Glenn." However, Mr. Dooo continued yelling at my father. So once again my father said "this year that I'm graduated its Glenn, end of story." My father walked away at that point.

I always enjoyed this story because sometimes people get on a power trip and they think they can push others around. Here was a case of a grown adult man being verbally harassed by a teacher. My father was graduated, so really what Mr. Dooo did was harassment. Mr. Dooo may have thought my father was still in school; but once my father informed him that he was graduated that should have been the end of it. I'm glad Mr. Dooo was told off by my father.

So Mr. Dooo and all you other bullies out there don't trip over your power trip.
We will post future articles concerning underdogs standing up to bullies.

No comments:

Post a Comment